Saturday, January 24, 2009

Charity Art Quilt Project

Some of you may already know that I am hosting a charity art quilt project to benefit the Strive For Life Foundation.
Artists from all over the world are each contributing one 8"x10" quilt square with a gypsy theme, which I will assemble, and then auction off to raise money to help the street kids of Romania.
I have already received a few of the squares, and I am so impressed with the beautiful handiwork of the talented artists.
Everyone has such a unique perspective on the theme.
I left the door wide open to interpretation and style. The squares can be pieced, appliqued, embroidered, cross stitched, fabric painted, etc.
I am still in need of more artists for this project.
If you think that you may be interested in participating in this creative project which will benefit a cause so dear to my heart, please leave a comment below, or email me at heidig@gmail.com
I would be so very honored and grateful to have more of my creative blog readers share in this international art project with me.

Here are the first three wonderful pieces so graciously contributed by some of the artists:

***
The first piece is by North Dakotan artist AlwaysInspired
She chose to make a beautiful applique Gypsy portrait, accented with embroidery details and beading.

***
The second square that I have received is from the lovely and creative Knickertwist from my home province of Ontario! She created this beautiful square on a background of rich maroon brocade accented with lace, crochet applique, beads, buttons and all kinds of goodness, with a gorgeous focal piece. I apologize for the quality of my scan. It is so much more lovely in person.

***

The third square that I have received is from the brilliant Virginian textile artist PixiesInTheHouse . She designed this charming art piece on a background of rich chocolate velvet, appliqued felt, and beautiful dimensional accents with buttons and silk flowers.


I would like to take this moment to thank the three of you so very much for being a part of this project. I also want to thank all of the other artists who are still working on their pieces. I will post those pictures as they come in. Hugs!

The Strive For Life Foundation works directly with the street kids and orphans of Romania, as well as with other NPO charities in the country to help bring hope, health and happiness.
If you would like more information about Strive, and the work that it does, you can message me or visit the website . I apologize for the website being a bit out of date. Our website girl got married and moved to Belgium. Strive will be changing web hosts soon, and a full update with past projects and current goals will come.

11 comments:

AlwaysInspired said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wonderful! I'm so proud to be part of this wonderful project for such a great charity! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Dale said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks for intereing my 'one world one heart' draw.

That square by knickertwists is so fabulous! The scan isn't tooo too bad, i can tell it's fabulous beauty from the picture.

BonTons said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a wonderful project, you've received some great pieces, would love to see the end product

Rheea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great project! Is there any dateline? I would like to know more info on the theme. Thanks :) You could contact me at http://byrheea.blogspot.com/

PS: Thanks for the vote in my poll!
Cheers~
Rheea

Papermasks said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's such a lovely project. And, already, you can tell it's going to be gorgeous! May it raise lots of money for the kids!

Lisa Gatz said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your work is beautiful! thanks for visiting my OWOH post on my blog. Your cause seems like such a beautiful and worthy one.

Rita'z R-tistic Ramblez said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What fun to visit all these different blogs. Thanks for entering my drawing!! Your blog is great!!!

willynillywaterlily said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What beautiful quilt squares! Your charity quilt is going to turn out amazing!

Patti G. said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your quilting project looks wonderful and for the charity that helps children. Is there a specific date that you are looking to have your 8x10 pieces....can you drop me an email and let me know more about it, theme,date and orientation of the piece--8x10 (8 across the bottom, 10 up and down or?) and I will see if I feel I can come up with something for you!
Hugs,Patti
egramza@wi.rr.com

BrendaLea, the Prpldy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

When are you needing this quilt piece by? If I have enough time I would be interested in making one for you.

BrendaLea

prpldy (at) comcast.net

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great gift. I would like to be involved if the deadline is not too soon.